DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES Under the overall guidance of Director, Programme Management (DPM) and supervision of Director, Health systems Development (HSD), the incumbent will:
1. Provide policy advice to Member Countries on the development and implementation of their national policies and plans for improving access to and use of essential medicines, in collaboration with other development partners as appropriate, and in ways that build national capacity.
2. Support evidence – based decisions in the countries in selection of medicines in the country’s essential medicines list, robust and efficient procurement, quality assurance, supply chain management and monitoring, and rational use of medicines.
3. Support countries to improve their capacity to collect, organize, analyse and use quality data for policy – making, to create standards of reference for data compatibility and modernization of data collection tools for availability of medicines in health facilities including by developing agreed tracer indicators to monitor progress in countries to achieve universal access to essential medicines.
4. Develop recommendations to improve the quality of national data on access to and use of essential medicines, and publish and disseminate regional data through multiple channels including the SEARO website, regional biennial publication on access to medical products, and country profiles;
5. Support implementing antimicrobials stewardship programmes, and support development and implementation of national action plans for antimicrobial resistance.
6. Promote appropriate use of medicines in the community and in health facilities including in primary health care, through integrated measures including education and training of the health care professionals and support the conduct of surveys on the use of antibiotics in health facilities and the community, in order to inform and assess the impact of stewardship and interventions.
7. Support mechanisms for rapid mobilization and delivery of medicines in collaboration with partners.
8. Provide support to the countries using a systems – based One – health approach for implementation priority areas with emphasis on the two priority areas (included in countries national action plans on AMR) i.e. a) national surveillance of antimicrobial use and submission of antimicrobial consumption data via WHO GLASS platform and b) national, hospital and community – based antimicrobial stewardship program implementation.
9. Facilitate the exchange of knowledge and experience between countries on improving access to quality essential medicines as part of wider efforts to advance UHC – including support for regional networks such as South East Asia Regulatory Network (SEARN).
10. Contribute to global policy dialogue on issues around strengthening access to essential medicines and anti – microbials in low – and middle – income countries, through engagement with WHO HQ.
11. Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the Director HSD.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS Essential : Degree in medicine, or health sciences or pharmacy with a post – graduate degree in pharmacologypharmacy, or public health with a specialization in medicines policy and management.
Desirable : Training in public health managementpublic administration andor, pharmaceutical policy and management
Essential : At least ten (10) years’ relevant experience, including considerable experience obtained in the international context in low – and middle – income countries, in the development and implementation of country health programmes involving pharmaceutical system strengthening; management at a senior level.
Desirable : Experience in medicines policy development and implementation, medicines selection, quality assurance, procurement and supply chain management and managing a national essential medicines programme. Development and management of antimicrobial stewardship programs and surveillance of antimicrobial use programs.
Excellent knowledge of the specific technical area of public healthProgramme management in different resource settings Capacity building using multiple methods – training, mentoring, setting up support systemsAbility to establish harmonious working relationships as part of a team
Other Skills (e.g. IT): Proficient in MS Office Software applications, data analysis and technical presentations.
WHO Competencies Teamwork
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Ensuring the effective use of resources
Industry TypeGovernment, Defence
Functional AreaMedical, Healthcare, R&D, Pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology
Employment TypeFull Time, Permanent
Role CategoryMedical Professional
UG :Diploma in Mechanical
PG :Post Graduation Not Required
ProcurementHealth insuranceData analysisSupply chain managementPharmaPharmacyMS OfficeMonitoringPublic healthRecruitment